Sunday, August 17, 2008

Helen Lake - Somewhere on the Bishop Pass Trail

This was our first full day of hiking for a while, which took its toll on both of us. My feet were definitely thanking me that we are getting off the trail soon! After an early start, we hiked down Muir Pass, following cascading waterfalls down granite faces. After a couple miles of descent we hit tree line -- it's amazing how tropical and verdant vegetation looks after being away from it for a couple of days!

By early afternoon it was time to say our goodbyes to the John Muir Trail -- we came to the Bishop Pass Trail, on which we were getting out. I think Matt was more sad/disappointed than I was to leave the trail. I'm sure we'll finish the 80ish miles to Whitney some other time, and I am still proud of the amount we've done. We hiked a couple of miles up the Bishop Pass Trail and found a nice campsite. Since we're below 10,000 feet, we had a campfire to celebrate our last night in the woods.

It's crazy we'll be in civilization tomorrow (after 10+ miles). I'm pretty excited about a shower, but less so about dealing with the logistics of our return. Matt is very excited about "real food" -- we haven't had fruits/vegetables in 15 days! He keeps talking about food he wants to eat. We're planning a pizza extravaganza for tomorrow night!

[Lucy]
Miles: 7 JMT Miles + 2 (or so) non-JMT miles
Total: 135.8 (JMT miles)

No comments: