
So, today started out with both of us mulling over the possibility of hiking out over Bishop Pass. As Matt said, our various injuries had us moving slower than anticipated. Our ability to get to Whitney (at least 90 more miles) in seven days was looking dim. While pondering our options, I went to go filter water from a nearby stream. While kneeling down to filter, I slipped into the stream. A rock cut off the top of my toe and tore a big chunk of my toenail off (gross, I know). I was bleeding pretty badly and I was pretty shook up, but Matt helped me clean and bandage it.

It's pretty difficult to put pressure on it (like, say, a 35 lb backpack). So that pretty much made the decision for us that we should hike out at Bishop. But, we still have food and we are in a gorgeous area -- the Evolution Basin -- so we decided we'd take it slow and hang out for a few days. So we hiked (slowly!) the five miles up to Evolution Lake and set up camp in the early afternoon. I have heard a lot of hype about this lake, and it totally lives up to it.

HUGE granite walls surround the lake itself, and the outlet cascades over a 3,000 foot drop. Which is right where we are camping! It's a little scary to be camped so close to a cliff, but the sunset was amazing. Tomorrow we may do the same as today -- hike a few miles up the basin to another lake, spend the afternoon swimming and just relax. As much as part of me is disappointed we aren't finishing the JMT this trip, it also feels like a weight has been lifted. We don't have to be stressed about mileage, timing etc. -- we can just relax and enjoy the amazing scenery. Plus, we can always come back and finish the 90 miles to Whitney another time.

[Lucy]
Miles: 5.2 Miles
Time: 123.3 Miles
No comments:
Post a Comment