Every morning I wake up thinking, "Today has to be easier than yesterday." But, inevitably, every day I leave the trail thinking, "This has to be the hardest day so far." Part of this is that my legs stop working at approximately 3:30pm, so whenever we hit camp I am usually running on fumes.
Although we had every intention of waking up early this morning, we got on the trail a little before eight. We had an early pass, which was relatively easy. We saw the famous Thousand Island Lake, which was incredible. We went by Emerald, Ruby, and Garnet Lakes, stopping for a long lunch and swimming break at Garnet. After this we had a huge descent, followed by a very steep ascent, before hitting Rosalie Lake, where we are camped.We have an awesome campsite, although we can hear some high school kids further up the lake. Those kids these days! Tomorrow we hit Red's Meadow, which is making me very anxious. Mostly because it presents an opportunity for escape that is going to be hard to resist.
That makes it sound like I'm not having a good time. I am. I am having an amazing time. It's just REALLY hard, and it's easy to get a little wimpy about it. But moments make the hardness worth it - like laying in the sun at Garnet Lake today, surrounded by huge mountains and glaciers. And eating weird backpacker chocolate mousse watching the sun set above our campsite.
I just need my legs/feet to get on board, and I'm good for another two weeks.
[Lucy]
Miles: 10.2
Total: 50.1

No comments:
Post a Comment